MSO6817 - Undated standing stone on Hoar Tor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
[SS 7595 4270] Stone (TI)  Stone on Hoar Tor, situated at Latitude 51 degrees 10' 10.5": Longitude 3 degrees 46' 28", standing 1 foot 11 inches and measuring 20 inches by 5 inches. No others in the vicinity.  As described: it is loosely set into the ground and is probably a rubbing post.  In early 1991 the Chanter and Worth stone was identified at SS 7597 4271, a triangular stone reported to be at SS 7587 4268 and a "pair with another" at SS 7591 4274.  The position of the stone published on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch 1905 is correct. It is of rectangular section, 0.6 metres high, 0.4 metres wide and 0.1 metres thick. It is slightly loose with a lean to the southeast. Unlikely to be a prehistoric standing stone, it may have been erected as a rubbing stone or even be an upright outcrop. Setterington's other two stones and several others in the vicinity are simply embedded surface stones.  Modern MasterMap data places the stone at SS 7596 4270.  A small standing stone measuring 0.3 x 0.18 x 0.08m, is situated on the plateau of Hoar Tor towards the west of Exe Plain. While designated as modern, it is situated in an area of other possible prehistoric standing stones. The stone leaning but it is very stable in its setting. To the south-east is a small, nearly buried, stone which may have been related to the upright stone (NGR: SS 75968 42702), though it appears to be natural. The condition of MSO6817 has improved since the last survey. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 38 (1906), 547.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 7 July 1965.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Mr RA Setterington,Taunton, Somerset..
- <5> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 January 1992.
- <6> SMO1278 Photograph: ALLEGED STANDING STONE AT EXMOOR - PROB. 207/J/3. B/W.
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO6817.
|Grid reference||SS 7596 4270 (point) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (2)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11019
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE3
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35206
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33158
Record last edited
Apr 29 2019 1:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.