MSO6816 - Modern mound on Trout Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 7946 4317. There is a barrow 196 feet from the northwest angle of the triangle of standing stones (SS 7940 4321), on a bearing of 222 degrees. Sited from plan. See Illustrations Card.  Exmoor 25. No additional information.  Chanter is referring to a small mound 5 metres across and 0.4 metres high. It is not a barrow but probably a field clearance mound or a marker mound of comparatively modern origin.  No change.  SS 7945 4317. Exmoor 25. Bowl barrow listed as .  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SEM6796 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. and Worth, R.H.. 1906. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. II, pp 538-552. 542. [Mapped feature: #47218 ]
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 7 July 1965.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F2, 3 February 1975.
- <5> SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. p33.
- <6> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 48 (site 28).
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35201, Extant 11 May 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7945 4317 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35201 (Pastscape entry: 35201)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10901
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35201
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33040
Record last edited
May 11 2021 2:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.