MSO6800 - Bronze Age bowl barrow northeast of Emmett's Grange (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Exmoor No. 15, SS 7558 3750, a bowl barrow 20 paces diameter and 3.5 foot high. This was visited by Grinsell on 24th September 1961.  This is a bowl barrow 0.8 metres high.  A tumulus is marked on the 1980 Ordnance Survey map at SS 7555 3750.  A barrow is centred at SS 7555 3751. It lies in an improved pasture field within the angle of the field boundary. Immediately to the north is a field gate forming the access to the field. The barrow consists of a sub-circular turf covered mound, measuring 20 metres northnortheast to southsouthwest and is 1 metre high. It has been truncated on the western and northern sides by the field boundary ditch and the gateway respectively. The barrow is most visible from the southsoutheast, from the north its summit is practically level with the gateway into the field. The summit of the mound has been disturbed by the dumping of stone, road tar and more recently by the placing of a circular feeder on it. Access to the field via this gateway will continue to pose a threat to the monument. [4,5] The site is in private ownership.  The barrow is clearly visible on aerial photographs taken in 1964.  A barrow measures c. 10 metres in diameter and c. 1 metres high. The hedge bank to the west clips the western edge of the feature, suggesting it may have been used as a marker when the field boundaries were laid out. A gateway in the hedgebank to the north has been recently blocked to avoid possible damage to the barrow by traffic. 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 33.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 September 1965.
- <3> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 October 1994.
- <5> SSO1864 Survey: RCHME. Exmoor Survey. 1994, NMR site SS 73 NW 6.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Somerset County Council Planning.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 172-73 (27 April 1964).
- <8> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p42.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7554 3750 (19m by 18m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34998 (Original Monarch entry: 34998)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO47
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10872
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE6
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34998
- Report Site Reference: 173 SEM7641
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33010
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 3:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.