MSO6794 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8651 3892. Un-named mine in Exford parish - trial adit 100 yards north of Stone. Mineral and date not known. (1) SS 86512 38924. Cut into the steep bank on the north side of Stone Lane track some 130 m north-north-east of Stone House and about 335 m above OD, is a well-preserved adit 2.2 m high and 1.2 m wide. It runs north-north-westwards into the hill and has been blocked by a brick wall about 8 m in from the opening. Spoil from the adit may have been dumped in the field to the immediate south of the lane. The annotation `Adit' appears at this location on the 1888 Ordnance Survey 25" map (sheet Somerset 46.5), although the adit is not depicted until the 1903 revision (sheet Somerset 46.5). (2)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Claughton PF 02-JUL-1993 `A list of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset' p 155..
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. IS Sainsbury 21-Feb-1996 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 8651 3892 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1091744 (Pastscape entry: 1091744)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE73
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1091744
Record last edited
Sep 5 2017 12:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.