MSO6791 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"..the discovery of his (William Stenner's) body in an abandoned mine tunnel, in the side of the valley west of the ruined farm of Muddicombe" (source 1) The adit, alluded to by source 1, was confirmed by the owner of Muddicombe (source 2) who described it as being covered by a rhododendron bush and being silted up and barely visible. The site is at SS 8350 3911 and is completely obscured by vegetation and the rhododendron bush described by source 2. The adit appears to have drained into a stream. (2)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Burton R A 1989 The Heritage of Exmoor 182 (relating account of suicide of William Stenner)..
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Mr Rawle, Exford; owner of Muddicombe..
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R 02-AUG-1995 RCHME Field Investigation..
|Grid reference||SS 8349 3910 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1046480 (Pastscape entry: 1046480)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW54
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1046480
Record last edited
Jan 21 2011 2:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.