MSO6791 - Post-medieval adit west of Muddicombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"..the discovery of his (William Stenner's) body in an abandoned mine tunnel, in the side of the valley west of the ruined farm of Muddicombe".  The adit, alluded to by , was confirmed by the owner of Muddicombe  who described it as being covered by a rhododendron bush and being silted up and barely visible. The site is at SS 8350 3911 and is completely obscured by vegetation and the rhododendron bush described by . The adit appears to have drained into a stream.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. p182 (relating account of suicide of William Stenner)..
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr Rawle, Exford; owner of Muddicombe..
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 August 1995. [Mapped feature: #47444 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1046480, Extant 10 August 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8350 3911 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1046480 (Pastscape entry: 1046480)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12351
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW54
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1046480
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35539
Record last edited
Aug 10 2021 5:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.