MSO6789 - Barrow on the Withypool and Exford Parish Boundary (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 8102 3748 is a prehistoric barrow. The feature is bisected by the parish boundary bank separating Withypoole and Exford parishes. The northern half lies in improved pasture, whilst the southern lies on open moorland. The barrow is 35m in diameter and 0.5m high. The southern half has been disturbed, but appears to consist of a ring-bank with the interior raised some 0.3m above the external ground surface. Robbing hollows and other disturbance is probably associated with the construction of the field boundary which bisects the barrow. The vegetation - heather and reeds - obscures further detail. The northern half, in improved pasture, is of similar form, although smoothed by agricultural improvement. Found, adjacent to SS 83 NW 15, during field reconnaissance. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. (1)Surveyed at 1:500 scale, July 1996. (2)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R 02-AUG-1995 RCHME Field Investigation..
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. R Wilson-North 3-JUL-1996 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <3> SDE67314 Survey: Best, J. & Wilson-North, R.. 1996. Barrow on the Withypool and Exford Parish Boundary/ Ink Survey. 1:500.
|Grid reference||SS 8102 3748 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1046460 (Pastscape entry: 1046460)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW50
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1046460
Record last edited
Jul 11 2018 11:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.