MSO6789 - Bronze Age barrow on the Withypool and Exford Parish Boundary (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 8102 3748 is a prehistoric barrow. The feature is bisected by the parish boundary bank separating Withypool and Exford parishes. The northern half lies in improved pasture, whilst the southern lies on open moorland. The barrow is 35 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. The southern half has been disturbed, but appears to consist of a ring bank with the interior raised some 0.3 metres above the external ground surface. Robbing hollows and other disturbance is probably associated with the construction of the field boundary which bisects the barrow. The vegetation - heather and reeds - obscures further detail. The northern half, in improved pasture, is of similar form, although smoothed by agricultural improvement. Found, adjacent to MSO8709, during field reconnaissance. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  Surveyed at 1:500 scale, July 1996. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 August 1995. [Mapped feature: #44691 ]
- <2> SDE67314 Technical drawing: Best, J. & Wilson-North, R.. 1996. Barrow on the Withypool and Exford Parish Boundary/ Ink Survey. 1:500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 July 1996. [Mapped feature: #44691 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1046460, Extant 27 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8102 3748 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1046460 (Pastscape entry: 1046460)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12340
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8724
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW50
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1046460
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35528
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 10:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.