MSO6786 - Circular cropmark of unknown date on Wellshead Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A roughly circular dark mark is visible in a field under pasture on aerial photographs taken in May 1977. This is located on a slope on Wellshead Allotment. On the 1977 aerial photograph the feature does not have a distinct outline and may result from natural variation in vegetation. [1-2] A possible enclosure is visible in the area on a number of other sources, though it is not as obvious as on the 1977 aerial photographs. On LiDAR data two sides of a possibly circular feature are noted, on 2013 aerial photographs these two features can also be seen as fine darker line of vegetation. Aerial photographs taken in 1946-8 also show a potential feature, but the resolution of the images is lower than the more recent sources mentioned and the image is less well defined. [3-5] The feature was transcribed by McDonnell and described as a large dark circular mound, plotted at SS 8305 4155. [6,7]
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS84SW.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENP MAM IRFC 13/105-106 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM8040 Cartographic materials: Geomatics. 2010. LiDAR (DTM or DSM). DTM.
- <4> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/104 (May 1977).
- <7>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8341C. [Mapped feature: #40855 SS8341C]
|Grid reference||SS 8305 4155 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974903 (Original Monarch entry)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11291
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW72
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974903
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33633
Record last edited
Jan 25 2021 10:36AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.