MSO6747 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR. (1) A shaft, adit and spoil heap are depicted on the Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25" mapping of 1904 (source 2). Centred at SS 8202 3752 are the remains of an iron mine. It consists of a linear gulley 5m wide, 0.6m deep and about 30m long. A very disturbed spoil heap is visible at its north-eastern end. The site of the shaft, some 84m to the south-west of the adit gulley, is marked by a sub-circular hollow 5.2m in diameter and 0.5 m deep. The shaft lies in an extensive area of shallow surface scoops and depressions, which are probably prospecting pits. (3)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset C C SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25" mapping 1904. Somerset sheet VL.11..
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R 09-AUG-1995 RCHME Field Investigation..
|Grid reference||Centred SS 820 374 (242m by 241m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974426 (Pastscape entry: 974426)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW22
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974426
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33592
Record last edited
Jan 12 2011 1:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.