MSO6729 - Modern clearance cairn south of Larkbarrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8211 4122 Cairn?  This is an extremely doubtful cairn and is not listed by Grinsell . It is a grass covered, angular, patch of stones 0.2 metres high and 7.0 metres across to which stones from recent field clearance have been added. It is close to the corner of a 19th Century field and may be the residue of material collected to build the field wall, or the remains of a crude contemporary shelter.  A modern clearance cairn, comprising an irregular heap of stones adjacent to a field wall. It was made by the farmer (Mr Edwards, Westermill Farm, Exford), who remembers dumping the stones there. It may have been built during the removal of field banks in this area. 
- <1> SMO5303 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Map Collection Reference . Correction, 6 inch (L.V. Grinsell undated).
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. W Somer. Barrows, Mss. (L. V. Grinsell).
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 28 June 1965.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 December 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8210 4123 (29m by 28m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36225 (Pastscape entry: 36225)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11258
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW9
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36225
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33599
Record last edited
Jun 18 2019 4:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.