MSO6720 - Prehistoric standing stone on Hoar Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 862 410. A standing stone 0.4 metres high and leaning to the east was recorded at the north end of Hoar Moor in 1981. It is aligned roughly east to west and in an isolated position. [1,2] A standing stone, at SS 8621 4106, lies in an area of heather and rushes, on a slight south slope at 454 metres Ordnance Datum. It comprises a sandstone post, 0.2 metres by 0.25 metres in section, and 1.2 metres long with a chisel-form top. The stone now leans to the northeast and is 0.6 metres high; a sheep worn hollow around the base has exposed two or three possible trigg stones and few loose stones.  A sharply tapering tapering sandstone post situated on the northeast corner of the field. The stone measures 0.95 x 0.24 x 0.27m and acutely leans to the east, to the point where it is almost recumbent. The acute lean is likely caused by excessive livestock rubbing, however, it has remained stable and firmly set since 1992. Bracken is also present across the area which partially obscures the stone. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, site visit report, 15 January 1981.
- <2> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 126 (1982), 62.
- <3> SMO5660 Article in serial: Fowler, M.J.F.. 1988/1989. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A Provisional Catalogue of 62 West Somerset Sites. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13, Exford 6.
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 September 1987.
- <5>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO6720. [Mapped feature: #45241 Tapering, acutely leaning, standing stone., MSO6720]
|Grid reference||SS 8621 4107 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36068 (Pastscape entry: 36068)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11287
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE39
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36068
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33629
Record last edited
Dec 14 2018 9:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.