MSO6717 - Prehistoric hut circle on Hoar Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Irregular sub-circular hut circle defined by stone bank on down slope side and cut into hill on the upslope side . Well defined entrance on the southeast side. "U" shaped feature to east and 2 circular mounds to northwest.  SS 857407. An irregular, sub-circular hut site, defined by a low stone bank on the down slope side and cut into the hill on the up slope side, was recorded in the northwest corner of Hoar Moor in 1981. The bank is 0.3 metres high and the feature generally about 10.0m in diameter.  A hut circle at SS 8574 4074, c. 10.8 metres in diameter formed from a low, grass grown foundation of stone, 1.3 to 2 metres in width, and of varying height: preservation is best on the south where 0.3 metres is reached, though on the north it is barely 0.1 to 0.15 metres. There is no clear evidence of the structure being cut back into the hillside, as in . There is a clear entrance on the southeast, c. 1 metre wide and the northwest third of the interior is raised above the level of the remaining two-thirds. No trace was found of the U-shaped feature and two circular mounds recorded by McDonnell . The feature is situated on gently sloping, south facing moorland close to the north margin of Hoar Moor. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, site visit report, 10 February 1981 (with sketch plan).
- <2> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 126 (1982), 62.
- <3> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 March 1987.
|Grid reference||SS 8574 4074 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36058 (Pastscape entry: 36058)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11288
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE34
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36058
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33630
Record last edited
Oct 7 2014 1:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.