MSO6305 - Post-medieval enclosure on Wootton Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a sub rectangular enclosure lie on the south edge of Wootton Common on a steep, south facing slope, centred at SS 9475 4400. It comprises a spread bank, 1 metre high and 1 metre wide, enclosing an area 100 by 50 metres. It is now covered in dense coniferous plantation.  The enclosure is recorded on the Tithe map of 1844, but has no parcel number  and is also depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition map . It probably represents post medieval piecemeal enclosure of the Common. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2>XY SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #46625 ]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 34(12).
- <4> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1155320.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9478 4400 (112m by 140m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1155320 (Pastscape entry: 1155320)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10238
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW97
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1155320
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16291
Record last edited
Jul 29 2020 1:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.