MSO6276 - Post-medieval boundary stone at Rex Stile Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"B.S." is printed on the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division six inch map.  Sandstone boundary stone, triangular in cross section with a bench mark cut into the top left hand corner.  The boundary stone was surveyed with GPS as part of the Exmoor project, giving a National Grid Reference of SS 90482 42555. The stone marks the boundary of Wootton Courtenay and Luccombe parishes. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch map of 1889 . A similar stone lies at Rex Stile, at SS 90646 42651.  The site is marked as "Rexdale Head" on the Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and the stone may or may not have been marked on the map at c. SS 9047 4254. 
- <1> SSO1635 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS94SW.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. A Bowman, 16 September 1985.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 34(14).
- <4>XY SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1997. [Mapped feature: #43082 ]
- <5> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 9048 4255 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086687 (Pastscape entry: 1086687)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10225
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11983
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW72
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086687
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34600
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16273
Record last edited
Aug 4 2020 4:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.