MSO6260 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Dunkery Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 9143 4236 is a circular, heather covered, mound of earth and stones 0.4 metres high. It is probably a small bowl barrow. Surveyed at 1:2500. [1,9,10] Bowl barrow 8 paces diameter and 1 foot high (Wootton Courtenay 8).  A small, well preserved cairn lies on the southeast slope of Dunkery Hill, close to the bridle way at SS 91437 42360. It comprises a circular, heather covered mound of earth and stone, 7 metres in diameter and 1 metre high. The cairn was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project. [3,4] Scheduled on 23 April 2003.  In good condition. Wrongly positioned on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 24 June 1965.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 April 1997.
- <4> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR Site SS 94 SW 20.
- <5> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <6> SSO539 Unassigned: SMR file 34345.
- <7> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9142.
- <8> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4176.
- <9> SMO1509 Photograph: PROBABLE BARROW OR OVERGROWN CAIRN AT WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM WEST. OS65/F139/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SMO1508 Photograph: PROBABLE BARROW OR OVERGROWN CAIRN AT WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM WEST. OS65/F139/3. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9140 4235 (14m by 13m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=37014 (Pastscape entry: 37014)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11775
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW20
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 37014
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34345
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 1:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.