MSO6258 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Luccombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 9126 4306, on a false crest well down the hillside, are the remains of a cairn. It is heather covered, very spread and poorly defined, and 0.5 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500. [1,7-9] Remains of cairn 13 paces diameter and 1.5ft high (Wootton Courtenay 5).  The cairn on the northern slopes of Luccombe Hill at SS 91276 43084 was surveyed by the RCHME using Leica single frequency GPS as part of the East Exmoor Project. The cairn comprises a low, circular mound of turf, earth and stone which measures 15 metres in diameter and a maximum of 0.6 metres high. There is much surface stone in the area, and a modern stone heap lies in the centre of the monument. The cairn lies on a natural terrace on the northern slopes of Luccombe Hill, occupying a false crest position. [3,4] Small low covered cairn, heather covered.  Scheduled on 23 April 2003.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 23 June 1965.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 25 & 43.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 29 January 1997.
- <4> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR Site SS 94 SW 18.
- <5> SSO538 Unassigned: SMR file 34343.
- <6> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <7> SMO1504 Photograph: CAIRN AT WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM NORTH WEST (STEREO PAIR WITH AO/65/141/7). OS65/F141/6. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <8> SMO1503 Photograph: CAIRN AT WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM NORTH WEST (STEREO PAIR WITH AO/65/141/6). OS65/F141/7. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <9> SMO1502 Photograph: CAIRN AT WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM WEST (STEREO PAIR WITH AO/65/139/1). OS65/F141/8. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <11> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9126 4310 (19m by 19m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=37008 (Pastscape entry: 37008)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11773
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW18
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 37008
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34343
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.