MSO12698 - World War Two slit trench at Hadborough (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A system of slit trenches, probably constructed during World War Two encircle the northern side of the summit of Hadborough. They stretch in a dispersed and irregular line from SS 95747 28756 in the west to SS 96486 28642 in the east, a distance in excess of 1 kilometre. Each trench takes the form of a small rectangular pit measuring between 3 and 4 metres long and a little over 2 metres wide, and 0.4 metres deep. Usually on the downslope side is a corresponding spoil heap up to 0.5 metres high. Group surveyed with GPS, February 1998. (One example surveyed at 1:200 scale.) [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- --- SEM341042 Technical drawing: Riley, H.. 1998. Hadborough World War II slit trench/pencil survey. Unknown. Permatrace. Unknown.
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 February 1998.
- <2>XY SMO5799 Report: Wilson-North, R.. 1998. Haddon Hill, Brompton Regis, Somerset: An archaeological survey by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. RCHME. [Mapped feature: #34197 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1132684, Extant 4 April 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 9626 2888 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132684 (Original Monarch entry)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8996
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1132684
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35911
Record last edited
Apr 4 2022 3:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.