MSO12631 - Mound of unknown date in Winstitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A mound is visible from the path along the river Barle on the skyline at about SS 7895 3790. This was not viewed from any closer but position, but the earthwork could suggest the presence of a barrow.  This is not recorded on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, nor on MasterMap dating to 2013. However, unlabelled earthworks relating to the Wheal Eliza Mine (MSO6802) are visible close to this feature on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey mapping. [2-4]
- <1> SSO2007 Unassigned: Webster CJ SCED. 20.9.1998. Site visit report.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7895 3789 (54m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35842
Record last edited
Jul 11 2018 3:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.