MSO12472 - World War Two military buildings at North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two buildings are visible at SS 95422 47427 on an 1946 aerial photograph. There is no evidence for these on the ground which has recently been planted with trees. [1,2] RAF aerial photographs show the buildings further to the north than the RCHME National Grid Reference associated with the tank ramps. Part of tank marshalling area MSO626.  SS 9546 4746 A Second World War tank marshalling area, visible as buildings, structures and roads, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located in Moor Wood on Minehead's North Hill, the features are associated with the extensive military training area and tank firing range that covered North Hill during the war. Two Nissen huts are located 7 metres to the southwest of the ramp building (MSO12469). Aligned northeast to southwest together, the western hut (SS 9544 4744) about 11 metres long and 4 metres wide, the east hut (SS 9545 4743) 10 metres long and 4 metres wide. 
- <1> SSO365 Aerial photograph: 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1665 3009 and 4005.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. D, SS 94 NE 60, p13,26.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. C Webster, Somerset SMR, Somerset County Council, March 1998.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005, 3007-8 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 541/544 3004-3005 (1 June 1950).
- <6> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . NMR SS 9547/8 21106/04 (9 February 2001).
- <7> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. P Batchelor (2005) "American tanks" http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/exmoor/batchelorsummary1.htm.
- <8> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. D Parsons 2005 "War Years, North Hill"http://www.somerset.gov.uk/Archives/exmoor/parsonssummary2.htm.
- <9>XY SMO7558 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NE. MD002175. [Mapped features: #42953 Northwestern building, D, p13; #46201 Southeastern building, D, p13]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9544 4743 (17m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102188 (Pastscape entry: 1102188)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102188
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35673
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.