MSO12421 - Alleged prehistoric standing stone at Prayway Meads (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A standing stone was located during fieldwork by Richard McDonnell in 1993 at SS 7736 4115. The National Grif Reference falls within improved land on the north side of the Exe Valley at Prayway Meads. The standing stone was not located, although some natural stone is visible on the surface. [1,2] Was reported as being stable in 2001.  A rough sandstone block, measuring 0.6 by 0.35 by 0.1 metres, leaning 20 degrees to the south. Set within a tussock on the steep combe slopes of Prayway meads, north of the river. There are many nearby surface stones, which may lead to difficulties in identifying this site. The stone is very stable in its setting, and aside from some livestock rubbing and potential evidence of historic frost-thaw, no further damage was noted.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE79935 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1993/4. Archaeological Survey of Exe Plain/Lanacombe.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 August 1994.
- <3> SSO806 Survey: Blackmore O A. 2002. Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Exmoor National Park Authority Owned Land.
- <4>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO12421. [Mapped feature: #45585 Standing stone., MSO12421]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1042537, Extant 1 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7738 4115 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1042537 (Pastscape entry: 1042537)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7113
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE136
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1042537
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35617
Record last edited
Jun 1 2021 3:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.