MSO12343 - Bronze Age cairn on Withypool Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a cairn situated some 700 metres due east of Pickedstones Farm, about 390 metres Ordnance Datum on the southern flanks of a hill overlooking the valley of the River Barle. The immediate area of the cairn is predominantly bracken in an otherwise heather moor. Cairn B - SS 8073 3705: some 20 metres northeast of the centre of A (MSO11739). Less imposing, being a turf and bracken covered subcircular mound of 0.2 metres maximum height and about 8 metres diameter. Probing suggests its content is small stones. Just north of centre, robbing has left a rather rectangular shaped hollow about 2 metres northwest to southeast by 1.5 metres and about 0.2 metres deep. There is no trace of a kerb. Cairn A is recorded as MSO11739. Further details of both cairns may be found in the project archive. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 January 1990. [Mapped feature: #47435 ]
- <2> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS83NW14 p69.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974408, Extant 27 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8073 3705 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8708
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974408
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35531
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 4:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.