MSO12341 - Supposed burial cist, W of Landacre Bridge, Withypoole (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
The perambulations of Exmoor Forest refer to a site as Stonechist which Grinsell locates at roughly SS807360 and states that there are several large slabs in the vicinity.  Known as "Stonchiste" and "Stonhust" in 1279, as "Stonchiste" in 1298, as "Stonchuste" in 1301, as "Stone Crest" or "Stone Ridge" in 1676 and 1689, as "Stone Christ" in 1678 and "Ridge Stone" in 1815.  Grinsell also describes the site as being on or near the Exmoor and Withypoole boundaries. The junction of these lies 1500m to the N and the site referred to may be PRN 34307.  There is nothing at Grinsells NGR but a "disturbance of large stones" to the N of the Withypoole\Exford Hedge may be the site. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 32.
- <2> SSO1220 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset barrows, part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 17.
- <3> SSO2073 Unassigned: Webster, CJ. Dec 1997. Somerset HER Staff comments.
- <4> SSO1828 Unassigned: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey.
|Grid reference||SS 807 360 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35529
Record last edited
Oct 28 2009 11:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.