MSO12319 - Possible post-medieval clay pit and cropmark enclosures at Claypit Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Ordnance Survey map marks 'Claypit Plantation' with a pond to the southeast.  Aerial photographs show linear cropmarks to the north of the pond and wood that may form an enclosure.  The plantation is not shown on the Tithe Map for Timberscombe. A field boundary existed running c.southwest to northeast, parallel to and c.40 metres south of the current plantation.  Claypit Plantation is depicted and labelled on the 1st Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000. SS94SW.
- <2> SSO101 Aerial photograph: 1996. DAP AAU03, 04.
- <3> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46641 ]
|Grid reference||SS 9437 4234 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35501
Record last edited
Nov 23 2020 2:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.