MSO12257 - Cairn west of Woodcocks Ley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 87354499. Luccombe 10. Cairn or stone heap under grass found by Grinsell in 1969. 22 paces west to east, 18 paces north to south, and 2 feet high. The name Whitburrow Wood to the south strengthens the likelihood that this is a Bronze Age cairn. [1,2] At SS 8732 4499, on a shelf on a gentle southwest slope and near the corner of a pasture field is a large cairnlike heap of stones measuring 17.5 metres east to west and 15 metres north to south. The west side is squared off with a closeby hedge otherwise the perimeter is of rather ovoid form, but not ragged. The ciarn has a flattish topof two distinct levels, separated by a scarp. The western two thirds is 0.4 metres high and the eastern third, which is turf covered, is 0.7 metres high. Much of it may have been removed to repair a farm road 15 metres to the north. The content is of medium sized stones with no visible evidence of any formal construction; indeed the impression is that of field clearance, an activity undertaken on a large scale during 1939-45 (see MSO7318) and which still continues in desultory fashion with stones being piled against hedges to the north of the farm road, and one heap which is now like a ring cairn (MSO7382). Without evidence to show that this cairn existed before 1939 there is some doubt about a prehistoric classification. There was clearly a fine cairn by the hill top prior to the war (PRN MSO7318) and it may have been this that was the source of the name Whitbarrow Wood (MSO7350), not this particular feature. 
- <1> SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. 35.
- <2> SSO1649 Unassigned: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. record card SS 84 SE. 48.
- <3> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 August 1987.
|Grid reference||SS 8732 4498 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36093 (Pastscape entry: 36093)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7355
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36093
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35323
Record last edited
Oct 17 2014 10:16AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.