MSO12249 - Possible prehistoric stone setting at Long Chains Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Indistinct grouping of many stones, mostly recumbent, to the southwest of MSO6964.  It is not clear whether the stones referred to in  are associated with those recorded during fieldwork in 1990 to the southeast of MSO6964, which were thought to be part of a natural outcrop. [2,3] Three stones form part of a stone setting on the north side of the Chains Valley, arranged in a roughly right angled shape. Stones A and B represent significantly large stones and Stone C is a small stone protruding the turf which may be natural. The site is south of MSO6964 by no more than 20m, and it has been mistaken by several surveys as the Scheduled Monument, especially owing to the prominence of Stone B and great similarity of the layout at this site. The condition of the site is considered to be good. The stones have suffered no clear deterioration but the thick rushes make it difficult to locate. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33038, M Walker, 1993.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 18 January 1990.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 13 February 2017.
- <4>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO12249. [Mapped features: #45586 Stone A., MSO12249; #45587 Stone B., MSO12249; #45588 Stone C., MSO12249; #45589 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7456 4234 (17m by 17m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35314
Record last edited
Oct 7 2020 11:12AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.