MSO12167 - Hemlawn Linhay, Oare (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The site is clear on the Oare Tithe Map of 1842.  "Hemlawn linhay" was visible on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey mapping. [2,3] The site was not visible on the 1975 map.  Five named linhays were probably part of the Glenthorne designed landscape (MEM24547) and formed focal points on walks or drives around it. 
- <1> SSO346 Map: 1842. Oare Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <4> SSO1443 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 SS84NW.
- <5> SEM340850 Report: Riley, H.. 2021. Archaeological survey at Glenthorne, Countisbury, Devon and Oare, Somerset, Exmoor National Park: The Combe SS 79947 49497 - The Towers SS 79425 49776. Hazel Riley. p6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8014 4898 (8m by 10m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35140
Record last edited
Aug 11 2021 9:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.