MSO12067 - Post-medieval wall on north side of Church Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Early sandstone wall with brickwork to north side of brick coping. Lower section of walling to left with rounded reveals and rebate for gate (missing). Lower section of walling to Churchyard, stepped, dressed stone coping, rubble red sandstone. Iron railing surmounted coping. Included for group value.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264658. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Assessment for Dunster states "Also listed are two lengths of wall. The first is in two sections between nos. 16 and 18. It is early-mid 19th century of sandstone rubble, backed by brickwork and with brick and dressed stone coping. The wrought iron gate and railings under a segmental arch give access to the Village Gardens."  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The wall is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data as a boundary line but is not labelled. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39150 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9909 4364 (48m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 26/4/26
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34926
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 3:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.