MSO11975 - 19th Century leat above Allcombe Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Leat seen running alongside Allcombe Water.  A water channel is visible on aerial photographs as a 1.8 kilometres long earthwork, centred approximately on SS 82824073 on the north-east facing combe slopes above Allcombe Water. The channel, of a type known variously as a leat, gutter or head-main, was probably part of nineteenth century agricultural improvements on Exmoor. Fed by a source near Larkbarrow Corner at circa SS 8248 4144, it was possibly intended to supply Hill Farm with fresh water. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 1 July 1985.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4195-6 (13 May 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 0161-2 (27 April 1964).
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #47361 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974866, Extant 12 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8294 4078 (1014m by 1318m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO418
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6784
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW122
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974866
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34589
Record last edited
Jul 12 2021 4:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.