MSO11968 - Possible prehistoric standing stones at Room Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Stone" marked on 1962 map.  Three small standing stones on the western side of Room Hill by the road.  No stones there now.  A stone is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps but is not present on the 2016 MasterMap data. [5-7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS83NE.
- <2> SSO1202 Article in serial: Gray, H.St.G. 1937. Rude Stone Monuments...part V. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 83. 170.
- <3> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Winsford 2).
- <4> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS83NE30, 67.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974534, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8547 3644 (point) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8568
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE30
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974534
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34582
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 2:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.