MSO11950 - Hooked Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
There used to be a stone called "The Hooked Stone" (or variants) at the junction of the parishes of Exmoor, Withypool and Hawkridge (IE at SS 8120 3447). It is mentioned in the Exmoor perambulations and illustrated on 'the Map of Exmore' of 1675 as apparently recumbent, and on a map of Withypool and Hawkridge parishes of 1688 as apparently erect. It is said to have disappeared since 1815. It appears to have been natural. [1,2] The feature is recorded as the "Hookey Stone" on the 1818 Inclosure Map of Exmoor.  It is similarly labelled "Hooked Stone" on the 1818 Inclosure Map that has the allotments marked.  A "stone" is shown on the 2021 MasterMap data at SS 8128 3452.  The stone shown on the 2021 MasterMap data is labelled "B.S." (or boundary stone) on the 2021 MasterMap data. It follows the Paris Boundary between Withypool and Hawkridge (the boundary with Exmoor Parish is a short distance to the west).  The precise location for the stone is not specifically marked on the 1818 maps. It is possible, although not clear, that the stone may in fact be the same recorded on the 2021 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1703 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1985. SS83SW. 11, MS record card 1927-8 (OGS Crawford).
- <2> SSO1302 Monograph: MacDermot, E T. 1911. A History of Exmoor Forest.
- <3>XY SEM8036 Map: Kelsey, F.J.. 1818. The Map Referred to in the annexed Award [Exmoor Inclosure Award]. 4 inches : 1 mile. Pen and Ink. [Mapped feature: #47184 Approximate location of stone indicated on 1818 maps, ]
- <4> SEM8815 Map: Kelsey, F.J.. 1818. A Map of Exmoor Forest Referred to by the annexed Award. 4 inches : 1 mile. Pen and Ink.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47185 "Stone" marked on MasterMap data, ]
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 19 April 2021.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35826, Extant 13 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8126 3450 (25m by 39m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6852
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8688
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35826
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34534
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 11:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.