MSO11867 - Possible Iron Age hillfort in Whits Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Double banks seen on aerial photographs in Whits Wood. [1,2] May be a hillfort.  The area in question is now under coniferous forest and no earthworks were discernible in the field. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3193.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9742B.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. ?Ed Dennison, Somerset County Council, 1 June 1984.
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 976 426 (324m by 279m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119400 (Pastscape entry: 1119400)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9465
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119400
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34445
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.