MSO11865 - Medieval or post-medieval routeways on Hopcott Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Low banks forming one complete small rectangular enclosure and three sides of a larger one on Hopcott Common. [1,2] The area in question lies on the edge of 19th Century enclosure  and 20th Century forestry. The earthwork remains of tracks or packhorse ways leading up onto the ridgetop are visible at the National Grid Reference given above; no enclosures could be discerned.  The area originally plotted on the GIS data for this record, centred at SS 9627 4434, is bisected by the historic parish boundary between Wootton Courtenay and Dunster Parishes, running southwest to northeast. This is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map with a routeway running along the southeastern side of the boundary. It is possible these features may have given rise to the originally noted earthworks mentioned by .  Aerial photographs taken in 1946-8 by the Royal Air Force depict a group of sinuous earthworks to the west of the site, which appear to run between a marked footpath to the west (shown on the 1st Edition map) and the parish boundary. It is possible that these represent desire lines or trackways between the two routes. 
- <1> SSO283 Aerial photograph: April 1947. LHL CPE UK.1980. 3023.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9644A. [Mapped feature: #34407 SS9644A]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Somerset 35(9).
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9614 4429 (334m by 183m)|
|Historic Parish||WOOTTON COURTNEY|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7560
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE47
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119389
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34443
Record last edited
Apr 15 2020 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.