MSO11851 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8863 4143. A low round mound surrounded by a ditch was noted on an aerial photograph. [1-3] No low mound surrounded by a ditch can be seen in the vicinity of the grid reference provided. However, there is a patch of boggy ground, 22 metres in diameter, with rushes growing in the centre and this may have been the feature recorded. [4,5] There is what appears to be very low barrow adjacent to the east to west path and just to the west of the north to south path at about SS 88754140. This may be what was seen on the aerial photographs but there is also a patch of grass visible at the original grid reference given, which shows clearly on 2001 aerial photos. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8841.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4171.
- <3> SSO252 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 89. 8666.
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 19 March 1987.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Ordnance Survey 73/109/955 (29 April 1973).
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Somerset Historic Environment Record, site visit, 4 February 2007.
|Grid reference||SS 8875 4140 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36129 (Pastscape entry: 36129)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9195
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36129
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34429
Record last edited
Oct 13 2014 3:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.