MSO11844 - Post-medieval hollow way south of Holloway Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two banks forming trackway south of Holloway Lane. Ground surface irregularity south of Holloway Plantation. [1,2] A hollow way of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the south of Holloway Lane, Cutcombe parish, centred on circa SS 8817 3934. The route is visible for over 500 metres in total, from circa SS 8795 3924 to SS 8848 3949. However it is divided into 3 sections by presumably later post-medieval enclosure field boundaries. By 1947 quarrying has damaged the western of the route and end and ploughing of the easternmost field has been partially levelled a stretch centred on circa SS 8837 3940, creating a 65 metre gap in the hollow way. By 1973 only the easternmost extent on the steeper slopes has escaped the plough, and most of the earthwork has been levelled. [1,3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. (F20) 4306.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8839A.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3275-6 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1066-9 (29 April 1973).
- <5>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #47509 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974766, Extant 1 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8822 3936 (565m by 281m) Enhanced with data from SEM7406|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO410
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9243
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE69
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974766
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34422
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 4:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.