MSO11769 - Mill Farm, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Mill Farm" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6" map.  Traces of mill pond and leat. Position of leat in relation to mill building (now used as a pottery) suggests an overshot wheel or possibly a breast slot.  The 1861 Census records two families based at the mill, including "Mrs Westcott, milleress". A mill was recorded in the Domesday returns for Wootton Courtenay. In the late 19th or early 20th Century, the mill was still operating and grist corn was obtained from Periton by the villagers to be ground into flour at the mill. The mill wheel was removed during World War One; the mill became a farm and in the 1881 Census Robert Greenslade is listed as the farmer and head of the household of Wootton Mill Farm. It was converted into a pottery by Michael Gaitskell in 1974 and a working water wheel was installed.  Mill Farm is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The site is labelled "The Mill" on the Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map. The land parcel reference is 587, described as "The Mill: Dwelling House Grist Mill Malthouse/Cottage and Barton", owned by The Right Honorable Lord Sherborne and Thomas Westcott, occupied by the latter. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS94SW.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, 24 November 1977, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <3> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46321 ]
- <5> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 587.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9432 4322 (49m by 80m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086643 (Pastscape entry: 1086643)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6291
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW57
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086643
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34339
Record last edited
Sep 4 2019 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.