MSO11760 - Possible site of South Batcham (or Batsom) Farmstead, Withypool and Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Low banks forming trackway and square enclosure with disturbed interior ground surface. [1,2] Nothing is shown of the farm in 1839, 1888 or 1903.  Centred at SS 8505 3385 on the northern side of the head of a stream running eastwards to the Barle is an area of slight platforming and amorphous scarping surrounded by gorse on the edge of a much improved pasture field. The area measures approximately 11.5 metres by 6 metres with further scarping beyond but it has no coherent shape. The site is littered with stone although this is the result of field clearance. A well used terraced track runs eastwards from the site which was depicted from aerial photographs.  SS 8505 3385. It is suggested that this could be the site of South Batcham due to its proximity with North Batcham, mentioned in the 1327 Lay Subsidy as being deserted.  A trackway and field boundaries of possible medieval or post-medieval date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs, centred roughly on circa SS 8510 3391, to the south of King's Wood. The curved shape of the field boundary visible to the west of the area, at circa SS 8495 3390, echoes that of the surrounding extant fields and may indicate a medieval origin. The more fragmentary low bank 320 metres to the east may be similar in form and date, but might simply be following the contours of the valley slopes. The remaining visible banks are more regular in form and appear to abut an extant boundary, and might possibly be of post-medieval date. The deeply incised trackway can be seen for over 400 metres, from King's Wood in the north to its junction wth the extant field boundary in the south. The platforming described and depicted by  and  cannot clearly be seen on the available aerial photographs, although some surface disturbance is visible. [1,8,9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. [10,11]
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3360-1.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 8533.
- <3> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 56(8).
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset 56(8).
- <6> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 April 1995.
- <7> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 25,102.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 4257-8 (11 July 1946).
- <9>XY SMO7581 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #47823 ]
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 859432, Extant 1 February 2022.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 932927, Extant 1 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8505 3395 (450m by 277m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO358
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8695
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8705
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8734
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE37
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE43
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 859432
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 932927
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34329
Record last edited
Feb 1 2022 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.