MSO11760 - Trackway and enclosure, S of King's Wood, Withypool (Monument)
No summary available.
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
Low banks forming trackway and square enclosure with disturbed interior ground surface.  Nothing is shown of the farm in 1839, 1888 or 1903.  Centred at SS 85053385 on the northern side of the head of a stream running eastwards to the Barle is an area of slight platforming and amorphous scarping surrounded by gorse on the edge of a much improved pasture field. The area measures approximately 11.5m by 6m with further scarping beyond but it has no coherent shape. The site is littered with stone although this is the result of field clearance. A well-used terraced track runs eastwards from the site which was depicted from air photographs.  It is suggested that this could be the site of South Batcham due to its proximity with North Batcham, mentioned in the 1327 Lay Subsidy. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8533.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3360.
- <3> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SSO1472 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1888. 1:2500 1st edition, sheet Somerset 56(8).
- <5> SSO1510 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903. 1:2500, sheet Somerset. 56(8).
- <6> SSO1869 Survey: RCHME. 1995. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 83 SE 37.
- <7> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 25,102.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8511 3391 (375m by 248m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34329
Record last edited
Jan 12 2011 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.