MSO11758 - Bronze Age barrow on Parsonage Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Fairly large low round mound noted on aerial photographs of Parsonage Down - possible barrow. [1,2] Fieldwork by RCHME located nothing within the region of SS 8520 3260, although the site does dominate the landscape below with views from the northwest through to the southeast, suggesting ideal position for a barrow or cairn. Mr Collins  informed them that the field had been ploughed several times during and since the 1970s. [3,4]
- <1> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85. 9324.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8532B. [Mapped feature: #47161 SS8532B]
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr Collins, Worth Farm, Withypool.
- <4> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 April 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8519 3261 (20m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8698
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 932863
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34327
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 1:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.