MSO11757 - Post-medieval trackways on Hawkridge Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Groups of banks forming rectangular enclosures (see MSO8702) and trackways. Also possible building shape. To the northwest are further banks forming two trackways meeting at a "T" junction.  This junction lies at SS 8525 3170 as plotted by aerial photograph marks. There is nothing at this location - the marks are in fact ploughed out field banks which are apparent in this field and in the surrounding fields. There is a significant field bank running roughly east to west from the valley floor in the west to the common to the east. There is a gap between it and the slope of the hill suggesting a trackway which has been reduced in width by natural slumping. This trackway presumably connected the now deserted farm at Huntercombe (MSO8687) with the common. Formerly included MSO8702.  Centred at SS 8526 3169 within an improved pasture and undulating field are the remains of field banks forming a crossed trackway on Hawkridge Common. The track survives as a hollow way averaging 4.6 metres wide. It is most clear running across the contours where it has become emphasised by the natural drainage from the field. Along the contours the trackway survives as a terrace. Within the field there are also a number of amorphous scarps and platforms, but these appear to be natural.  The Tithe Map of 1841 shows a field boundary heading between c. SS 8522 3159 and SS 8526 3179, which coincides with the route of the trackway heading north to south.  In private ownership 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8531.
- <2> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85. 9323.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 29 January 1988.
- <4> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 25 April 1995.
- <5> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 85 31 (451m by 201m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1028681 (Pastscape entry: 1028681)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8734
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE54
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1028681
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34325
Record last edited
Feb 4 2019 1:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.