MSO11755 - Post-medieval building remains east of Bigmoor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Flush marks in field suggesting two or three buildings with small gardens were noted on aerial photographs to the north of Uppington. [1-3] SS 8544 3556. Richard McDonnell indicates that around Uppington, a farm still in use, there are earthworks of several buildings, probably post-medieval.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. [5,6] There are no buildings shown here on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, nor on the Withypool Tithe Map. [7,8]
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4356.
- <2> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85. 9326.
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. ss8535. [Mapped feature: #47523 ]
- <4> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 127 (1983), P102.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974635, Extant 13 September 2021.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 867413, Extant 13 September 2021.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8543 3556 (108m by 92m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8696
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8722
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE51
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE72
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 867413
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974635
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34323
Record last edited
Sep 13 2021 8:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.