MSO11750 - Deserted medieval farmstead southwest of Three Waters (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Foundation of stone building c. 3 metres east to west by 2.5 metres north to south, with much ruined associated enclosure walls on edge of wood. The foundations consist of large boulders and the enclosures are fragmentary. Probably a deserted medieval farm.  A small medieval deserted farm site and enclosure was identified on the south bank of the Barle at Ashway. The site has been excluded from agricultural improvements in the area.  Nothing is depicted within the area in 1841, 1888 or 1904.  The remains of a deserted farmstead were indicated within the vicinity of SS 87053047 within Little Birchcleeve Wood (1). Centred at SS 8701 3049 on the edge of Little Birchcleeve Wood are the fragmented remains of a field system. One main terrace runs along the contours crossing the edge of woodland possibly with others above and below it. There are on both sides of the present track blocks of sandstone, some of which suggest clearance, although the majority have no coherence. There are no buildings implied by the field evidence, although the presence of the field system suggests the presence of domestic habitation.  In private ownership. 
- <1>XY SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, 9 March 1982. [Mapped feature: #34100 ]
- <2> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 25,102.
- <3> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 57(13).
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 57(13).
- <6> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 February 1995.
- <7> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8700 3048 (236m by 205m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8678
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35796
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34318
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.