MSO11749 - Bronze Age cairn southwest of Portford Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Barrow at SS 827 341, 11 metres diameter and c.0.5 metres high, disturbed in centre with surrounding ditch.  National Grid Reference corrected.  A prehistoric cairn visible as a circular flat topped, earth covered stoney mound 12.8 metres in diameter and between 0.3 metres and 0.5 metres high. It has been subject to recent robbing. Nevertheless traces of bank onthe lip of the mound, especially visible on the western side, suggest that the feature may be a disturbed ring cairn, but its disturbed form makes this suggestion very tentative.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1056 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 00.08.87. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council 00.08.87 - discovery.
- <2> SSO1057 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 04.07.82. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council 04.07.82 - site visit.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 February 1995. [Mapped feature: #47182 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1052145, Extant 2 February 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8291 3407 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8750
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW47
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1052145
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34317
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 3:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.