MSO11742 - Possible post-medieval mill in Mill Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Mill wood" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map.  Nothing is depicted in 1841, when the area was recorded as "Wood".  The presence of a derelict leat was mentioned running through the bottom of Mill Wood. [3,4] "Mill Wood" is labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and on the 2021 MasterMap data, centred at SS 8559 3388. [5,6]
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS83SE.
- <2> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. The Farmer, Great Bradley, Winsford.
- <4> SSO1869 Survey: RCHME. 1995. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 83 SE 32.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8565 3384 (169m by 171m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8700
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE32
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 932917
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34310
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 1:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.