MSO11735 - Medieval deserted farmstead southwest of Bradley Pond (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The area was a detached part of Hawkridge in 1841, but no buildings are shown on tithe map . However there are earthwork remains lying at the west end of Bradley Pool (MSO12354) cut by 19th Century field boundaries. There is some quarrying on the site but three buildings are clear within an enclosure defined by a bank and ditch.  No farm is shown at or near SS 857 349 on the 1809 1 inch Ordnance Survey map, though 'Bradley' and 'Little Bradley' occur somewhat to the south.  Two clearly defined rectangular buildings north of the 19th Century field bank and several other possible platforms. The two buildings appear to have baffle entry porches. This is apparently a fairly large farm site, or possibly several small ones.  Immediately to the southwest of the dam at Bradley Pond are a series of regular earthworks suggesting a trackway and three rectangular buildings to the east. These are visible on aerial photographs dating to 1947 and 1971. [5-7] There are remains of an abandoned farm site, probably medieval, at SS 857349 adjacent to Bradley Pond. A 19th Century enclosure wall cuts the site and there appears to be disturbance by quarrying. The farm was called Bradley.  Centred at SS 8565 3490 to the south of Bradley Pond are the earthwork remains of a medieval farmstead. At least two buildings survive parallel to each other, with an enclosing bank to the west and other amorphous scarps within the vicinity. Beyond the earthworks are the slight traces of an associated field system (MSO8732). The best preserved building lies in the centre of the site. It is rectangular and measures 15 metres (east to west) by 4.8 metres with its western end cut into the natural slope. It has a change in level 3.8 metres from its western end forming an internal division. The second building lies to the south and is parallel to the first. It measures 14.8 metres (east to west) by 4.7 metres, although it is cut and obscured by a 19th Century field bank to the south. The earthworks are raised 0.3 metres high. There are signs of a central internal division and possible entrance in the northern side. To the east of the second building, also obscured by the field bank, is platform cut into the natural slope measuring 3.3 metres (east to west) by 4.8 metres. It does not appear to be a domestic building. In the northeastern corner of the site is another platform measuring 7 metres (north to south) by 5 metres cut deeply into the slope. However, its proximity to the dam and its shape suggest that it has been quarried. Between the buildings are other amorphous scarps which appear to represent tracks and former enclosures, as well as disturbances from the construction of the dam. The site apears to be medieval as the field system supports. It is not depicted on Hawkridge Tithe map  or by the Ordnance Survey in 1809 . The site was surveyed at 1:500 scale. [11-13] In private ownership.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 102.
- <3> SSO1427 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1", sheet 20.
- <4> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34303.
- <5> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85. 9326.
- <6> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3359.
- <7>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8534F. [Mapped feature: #34092 SS8534F]
- <8> SSO1698 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1979. SS83SE. 11.
- <9> SSO303 Serial: 1977. Medieval Village Research Group Annual Report. no 25. 15.
- <10> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 119.
- <11> SMO5661 Technical drawing: Chapman, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1995. Bradley Pond farmstead/ink survey . 1:500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <12> SMO5672 Technical drawing: Chapman, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1995. Bradley Pond farmstead/pencil survey . 1:500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <13> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 March 1995.
- <14> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34303.
- <15> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35790, Extant 1 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8565 3486 (109m by 116m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8676
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35790
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34303
Record last edited
Feb 1 2022 11:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.