MSO11699 - Siderfin deserted farm north of South Hill, Winsford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Siderfin" printed on OSAD 6" map and shown as a building and small enclosures.  Building remains, short bank and possibly a barn still in use.  Not mentioned in Aston's list of deserted settlements.  The site is not shown on the early 19th century large scale maps.  Two buildings, which appear to be a barn and a small outbuilding, are depicted on the Tithe map of 1839. They are named as "barn\court etc." and occupied by Sarah Edbrooke, who also held the farm of East Mousehanger, a mile to the east.  This suggests that Siderfins operated as an outfarm rather than as a farm in its own right.  The barns were still in use in the late 19th century.  In the 1970s the barns were in use by Leigh Farm.  N.B. This record has been separated from MMO584 and MSO8586 (latter now deleted). 
- <1> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9032.
- <3> SSO254 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 91, September. 8698.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 100-101.
- <5> SSO1520 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1802-3 3", sheet 42(1).
- <6> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 93 SW 24.
- <8> SSO1468 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1890. 1:2500 1st edition, sheet Somerset. 57(6).
- <9> SSO1515 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500, sheet SS 9032.
- <10> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove 07/01/2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9009 3238 (84m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095064 (Original Monarch entry: 1095064)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MMO584
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8586
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW24
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095064
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34258
Record last edited
Nov 21 2014 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.