MSO11696 - Higher Kemps Farm, Winsford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Banks or broken walls forming small rectangular enclosures around two standing buildings with roofs. Also rectangular building remains just to the north with small enclosure. [1-3] This latter area is marked "Higher Kemps" on 1962 map.  May be a deserted farm with Lower Kemps to the east.  SS 89 1362. Earthworks around the present farmstead of Higher Kemps indicated by McDonnell (seen on aerial photographs) are possibly indicative of a change of site or shrinkage from a hamlet to a farmstead. (Kemps shown at SS 8923 3630 on one inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map dated 1809 ).  The main area of earthworks appears to be occupied by Kemps Cottage on the 2021 MasterMap data.  The southern part of the site is shown as a clear area on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. However, the northernmost rectangular feature transcribed by McDonnell  is shown on the map and labelled "Higher Kemps".  It is also clear on the Tithe Map for Winsford. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4350.
- <2> SSO252 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 89. 8661.
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8936B. [Mapped feature: #46982 SS8936B]
- <4> SSO1610 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83NE.
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 4 April 1984.
- <6> SSO1424 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1" 1st edition.
- <7> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 101.
- <8> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <9> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <10> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8911 3621 (140m by 141m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8526
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35727
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34255
Record last edited
Feb 1 2021 9:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.