MSO11692 - Post-medieval field boundaries south of South Higher Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Field banks and shallow ditches forming three small rectangular enclosures against an old field boundary south of South Higher Combe. [1,2] Two relict field boundaries are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s, on a gentle east facing slope to the south of South Higher Combe, centred on circa SS 8703 3799. The boundaries are arranged in a T shape, with each point of the T abutting, or probably originally abutting prior to being removed, the extant field boundary. The earthwork therefore divided the enclosed area into three smaller, subrectangular fields. The outer enclosure is composed of both curvilinear and straight elements, and may indicate both medieval and post-medieval phases of enclosure, placing the relict earthworks in the later period. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The boundaries are not shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The Tithe Map for Winsford shows the field as a single unit, labelled 19. The Apportionment, however, describes the field as "Two Bottoms Pieces and Horse Close", suggesting that it had until recently been subdivided. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3310-1.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS2937.
- <3>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #47527 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974610, Extant 14 September 2021.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 19.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8704 3795 (273m by 147m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO396
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8574
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE47
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974610
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34251
Record last edited
Sep 14 2021 2:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.