MSO11691 - Post-medieval barn north of West Nethercote (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Three small enclosures shown on 1962 map.  Large building shown on 1903 map.  Too small to be a farm, although may be a house. More likely to be a barn.  The site lies at SS 8719 3670. In 1890 it comprised a single building with adjoining yards . The site appears to have been a barn and may have been constructed to ease the problem of Nethercote lying so far from its holdings on the summit of Lyncombe Hill. No field investigation. [4,5] The remains of a structure are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the north of West Nethercote, centred on circa SS 8721 3670. A barn and adjoining yards are depicted on the Ordnance Survey map of 1890 in this location. Both the structure depicted on the map and the earthwork remains are roughly square and measure just over 6 metres to a side. It is therefore likely to be the same structure and to be of post-medieval date. [6,7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The Tithe Map for Winsford depicts a small building adjacent to an enclosure. It is within a larger enclosure labelled 201, which the Apportionment names "Barn Close". 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS83NE.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, 46(13).
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 3 May 1984.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Somerset 46(13). [Mapped feature: #47528 ]
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 September 1997.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 54/2821 (F62) 154-5 (27 April 1964).
- <7> SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974608, Extant 14 September 2021.
- <9> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8719 3670 (50m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO395
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8573
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE46
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974608
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34250
Record last edited
Sep 14 2021 3:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.