MSO11684 - Undated worked stone to rear of Edbrooke Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A massive local stone found immediately (c. 10 centimetres) below the topsoil, but possibly deeper as the ground was partly removed. Found c. 2 metres from the river bank, now moved to the river bank itself. No sign of use as a gatepost etc. Possibly a natural stone, but not waterworn and so may be a fallen standing stone.  A sandstone block 2.2 metres long. 0.6 metres wide and 0.18 metres thick, now used as a garden seat. Unlikely to have been a prehistoric standing stone but it has been worked and has a finely chiselled edge. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. I Burrow, Somerset County Council, 30 October 1979.
- <2> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Winsford 3).
- <3> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS93SW16, 67.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS93SW.
|Grid reference||SS 9113 3421 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095006 (Pastscape entry: 1095006)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=866608 (Pastscape entry: 866608)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8560
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8594
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW15
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095006
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 866608
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34243
Record last edited
Feb 7 2017 12:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.