MSO11678 - Post-medieval building north of Spire Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Small enclosure shown on 1962 OS map.  This is the site of a cottage.  Group of short low banks of broken walls seen on aerial photographs. [3,4] A building depicted but not named on a late 18th Century county map may be this site.  On the 1838 tithe map two small enclosures are shown in this area; they are part of "Halse Plantation", and belong to Pitt Farm. This site represents the eastern enclosure, which contains a building at this date.  On a late 19th century Ordnance Survey map the eastern enclosure no longer contains a building.  In 1973 the eastern enclosure is mapped as an isolated enclosure in woodland.  The enclosure lies at the head of a steep sided combe on the southeastern edge of Winsford Hill at SS 8908 3394. It measures approximately 24 metres northeast to southwest by 20 metres northwest to southeast and is defined by a substantial earth and stone bank. A further substantial bank, 1 metre high and 1 metre wide, divides the enclosure, and can be equated with a boundary depicted on the tithe map. There are no obvious remains of the building depicted on the tithe map, although at the time of the visit the area was covered in dense bracken. For the western enclosure, see MSO11677.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1694 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. SS83SE.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 8 November 1977.
- <3> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3354.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8833C and 8933D.
- <5> SSO899 Map: Day and Masters. 1782. County map of Somerset.
- <6>XY SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #34088 ]
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57(6).
- <8> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. Sheet SS8833.
- <9> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 September 1997.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 932915, Extant 1 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8907 3383 (49m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932915 (Pastscape entry: 932915)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8562
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE30
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 932915
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34237
Record last edited
Feb 1 2022 3:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.