MSO11675 - Post-medieval Well Farmstead west of Bradley Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
There are the remains of a house on the site and a few traces of other buildings and enclosures.  Shown as several buildings on the 1962 six inch Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division map.  Ruined buildings shown on 1978 Ordnance Survey map.  Banks and walls forming a group of small enclosures with two buildings, one of which is roofless. Centred at SS 852 335. Deserted farm site of Well. Visible on Tithe Map . [4-6] Was in Winsford parish but now in Withypool following reorganisation in 1982. Adjacent water meadow system, see MSO11829.  In 1839 there was an estate of 95 acres here, and the buildings are shown roofed.  A medieval farmstead at Well is indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of William atte Well.  The complex is shown as roofed in 1888, but had shrunk by 1903. A building to the northwest was depicted as roofed in 1888, but was unroofed by 1903 (the building referred to by the RCHME survey as surviving as a mound).  The entire complex is depicted roofed in 1809, although the name is "Wheel".  The remains of the post-medieval deserted farmstead of Well lie on a natural levelling in the slope which rises southwestwards from the River Barle. The buildings survive unroofed, except for one to the northwest which survives as a mound. The walls of the other buildings stand in places to their full height although there has been some stone robbing. The buildings are constructed using local stone with some brick window arches. Local information suggests that Well was inhabited until about 1970, soon after which the roof tiles were taken for a house in Hawkridge, leaving the walls to their imminent decay . 
- <1> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 101.
- <2> SSO1612 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83SE.
- <3> SSO1440 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 SS83SE.
- <4> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85. 9324.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3361.
- <6> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. SS8533A.
- <7> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 8 October 1984.
- <8> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <9> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 178-9.
- <10>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Somerset 56(8). [Mapped feature: #34085 ]
- <11> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset 56(8).
- <12> SSO1425 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1" 1st edition, sheet 20.
- <13> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr Collins, Worth Farm, Withypool.
- <14> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 March 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8522 3348 (96m by 137m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8681
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE18
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 35799
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34234
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 2:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.