MSO11644 - Tree ring enclosure at Withiel Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Low circular bank and shallow ditch suggesting a tree-ring enclosure. [1,2] Within area of rig and furrow (MMO806).  Nothing is visible on the ground at the NGR cited.  Two separate surveys of this area (Brendon Hills NMP and Exmoor NMP) reviewed of all aerial photographs in the NMR (including those cited in source 1), the HER and at the Exmoor National Park Authority. Neither survey identified the feature described by . [5,6]
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9935.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3333.
- <3> SSO987 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 17.05.84.
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 7 July 98 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Fiona Small\May-1998\RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project.
- <6> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Katherine Toms\June 2009\English Heritage: Exmoor National Park NMP.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9990 3558 (31m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||TREBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128235 (Original Monarch entry: 1128235)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8356
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE79
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128235
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34145
Record last edited
Aug 15 2017 5:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.